RPMI 1640, w/o: L-Glutamine, w/o: Phenol red, w: 2.0 g/L NaHCO3
Cat-no : P04-16516
Size: 500 ml
Store at: +2°C – +8°C
Sterile : Yes
RPMI Tissue Culture Medium: A Comprehensive Guide
Introduction: RPMI tissue culture medium, also known as Roswell Park Memorial Institute medium, is a vital component for cell culture research. Designed to support the growth of human leukemic cells, its versatility has made it a staple in various cellular studies.
Components and Composition:
- Main Ingredients: RPMI medium typically contains inorganic salts, amino acids, vitamins, and glucose. Its balanced formulation ensures optimal cell growth and function.
- Supplementation: Often, researchers enhance RPMI with L-glutamine, HEPES buffer, and serum (like fetal bovine serum) to cater to specific cell types.
Applications in Research:
- Cell Culture: RPMI is widely used in mammalian cell culture, especially for human cells, due to its comprehensive formulation.
- Immunology Studies: Given its inception for human leukemic cells, RPMI has found broad applications in immunological research, including lymphocyte studies.
- Drug Testing: The medium’s robustness supports cellular responses to potential drugs, making it indispensable for pharmacological studies.
Benefits of RPMI Medium:
- Versatility: RPMI supports a wide range of mammalian cells, making it a preferred choice for diverse research requirements.
- Consistency: Its standardized composition ensures replicable results across experiments.
Storage and Handling: For optimal results, it’s essential to store RPMI medium at 2-8°C, avoiding repeated freeze-thaw cycles. Before use, warm it to room temperature and check for any signs of contamination or discoloration.
Conclusion: RPMI tissue culture medium stands as a gold standard in the realm of cell culture. Its adaptability to various cell types and consistency in delivering reliable results has made it a favored choice for researchers worldwide. By understanding its components and proper handling methods, one can harness its full potential for groundbreaking cellular research.