7-AAD Viability Staining Solution
Size: 400 tests
Excitation laser: blue (488 nm)
Store at: 2-8°C. Protect from prolonged exposure to light. Do not freeze.
Background and Usage
7-AAD (7-aminoactinomycin D) is a fluorescent intercalating agent commonly used in cell culture viability experiments. The primary function of 7-AAD Staining Solution is to differentiate live cells from dead ones based on the integrity of cell membranes.
In cell cultures, it is essential to assess cell viability routinely. Here’s where the 7-AAD Staining Solution becomes invaluable. The 7-AAD molecule itself is not permeable to live, healthy cells. However, when a cell undergoes necrosis or late apoptosis, its membrane integrity becomes compromised, allowing the 7-AAD molecule to enter. Once inside the cell, 7-AAD binds to DNA and upon excitation, emits a fluorescent signal detectable using flow cytometry.
When conducting a 7-AAD cell viability assay using flow cytometry, the process is straightforward:
- Cell Preparation: Harvest the cells from your culture and resuspend them in a suitable buffer.
- Staining with 7-AAD: Add an appropriate amount of 7-AAD Staining Solution to the cell suspension and incubate for a specified period, usually a few minutes.
- Flow Cytometry Analysis: Following staining, cells are analyzed using flow cytometry. Live cells will not exhibit the 7-AAD fluorescence, while dead cells will fluoresce due to the 7-AAD-DNA interaction.
- Data Interpretation: The flow cytometry output will show two distinct populations when using the 7-AAD cell viability assay: a non-fluorescent population (live cells) and a fluorescent population (dead cells). By quantifying these populations, researchers can calculate the percentage of cell viability.
The utilization of 7-AAD Staining Solution offers several advantages in cell viability experiments:
- Speed: The 7-AAD cell viability assay is quick, often providing results in less than an hour.
- Compatibility: The 7-AAD Staining Solution is compatible with multicolor flow cytometry, allowing researchers to simultaneously assess other cellular parameters.
- Specificity: Since 7-AAD cell viability is based on membrane integrity, it offers high specificity for dead cells.
In sum, the 7-AAD Staining Solution is an essential tool for researchers conducting cell culture viability experiments. Through its specific interaction with compromised membranes, the 7-AAD cell viability assay provides a reliable, rapid, and precise method for evaluating the health of cell cultures using flow cytometry. Ensuring the accuracy of viability assessments is paramount in cellular research, and tools like the 7-AAD cell viability assay remain instrumental in achieving this precision.
EXBIO Praha A.S., Czech Republik